Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tools of the Trade - Besom

The broom or "besom" is used for cleansing ritual areas, hence the term "making a clean sweep". In handfasting rituals, couples often jump over the broom if they want children. (If you don't want children, DON'T JUMP! The combination of the "brush" and the handle are a very powerful fertility symbol.) Many Witches have a broom-brushy side up-by their door to protect the home from unwanted outside energies.


Me personally I have a Cinnamon broom that I'll be hanging on Imbloc by our front door. Not only does it smell WONDERFUL...but for me it wards away the negative energies. I'm a complete cinnamon addict...lol Now some people like to make them by hand...others like to buy them. As always it's personal preference.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I had heard about the broom at Imbolc, but I didn't know anything about the direction you hang it! Thanks!