Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tools of the trade - Athame

The Athame(pronounced "a-thAM-ay" or "ATH-a-may") in the simpilest definition is a ritual knife. Again one of the more personal items that you would pick. I don't have one yet. I haven't found one that speaks to me and says "pick me pick me" I just haven't had that happen yet. It's also one of the tools that require the most care. You remember all those accidents that were happening when the new Wii came out and the straps weren't holding the controlers to people's hands? Um...there is no strap here...so you need to be very careful how you use it. Weilding it around and yelling "By the power of Greyskull"...not really a good idea.

The athame is associated with the element of fire and the direction South. You can use it for casting a cirle, some people use it for initiations, handfastings. In my opinion it's all personal preference. That's one of the wonderful things about this religion. There are basics like the Rede. But a lot of things are what you are comfortable with and what "fits" with you.

Now that being said I do agree that if it is a ritual tool then it should be used for that purpose only and nothing else. You don't want to cast a circle and then later that night try and carve a roast with it.

No comments: