Monday, March 3, 2008

Tolerance

Yeah I know probably not exactly what you would expect from this blog as a post but it just struck a chord with me today and I had to say somethng about it.

So I was sitting at my desk today and someone knocks on the door. It's the middle of the day. Hubby is at school and is due home in a lil while. So I get up answer the door and it's a young black woman. She's selling magazines. Now I had a really bad experience with these. A while ago same situation and I only had cash...didn't have the checkbook. My ex at the time did. Anyway...it was reasonably priced and I thought what the heck. Well I gave her the money...filled everything out and guess what. I never got any magazines. So in general I have made it a rule that unless it's a school fundraiser for a relative, one of my kids or one of the kids for the girls at work...I just don't do it anymore.

So she finishes her opening bit and I politely told her that I wasn't interested and that I had a bad experience in the past and I was sorry. Well she kept going. So I tried the more firm, "Look I've already said no." She keeps going about how she can't understand why I won't buy these from her (And at this point it was more then past experience...it was her attitude too) Finally I looked at her and said,

"Could you please leave I've already said no and I'd like you to go."

The response I get to that.... "It's becasue I'm black isn't it? You won't buy something from a black woman!" Mind you...she's STILL NOT leaving!!

So I take a few deep breaths and really don't feel like getting into the race argument with her. It's not the case I just didn't want to buy (nor can I afford to buy) magazines right now)!! Finally the only thing that gets her to leave is me telling her that I've asked her to leave several times and if she doesn't I'm going to be forced to call the cops. That's when she finally backs down off my porch and heading towards the neighbors.

I just don't understand why it has to turn into a race war over something like that. My son's Godfather is black...a large portions of my friends are every race and nationality under the sun...I just don't get it I guess...

No comments: