Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thursday Thirteen



Yeah I'm a tad brain fried at the moment so I'm following along with Sadie and Rhoni. Doean't matter how far south I go in my heart NYC is home.

Thirteen things I miss about home:

1. The pizza. I'm sorry there is nothing like a REAL NY pie. We have a few places here and there scattered throughout VA that come close. I guess it helps that most of them are owned and run by guys who used to live in NYC so at least I get something close to it.

2. Carvel. I don't mean the stuf you get in the freezer section of the grocery store. Again I mean a REAL Carvel store. Where you could get a flying saucer made fresh. We had one right around the corener from my grandparent's house.


3. The Subway. Yeah never thought I would say that. I miss mass transportation. We could get anywhere we wanted to in the city that way and if the train didn't get there. There was usually a connecting bus.

4. Nathan's HotDogs and Fries. Yes again I know I can get Nathan's in a store now and they are pretty good. But again....wasn't home.

5. Coney Island. I'm sure this one really speaks for itself...lol

6. Broadway. I miss going to shows. I would spend my summers between Long Island and Manhattan and my Aunt and Grandmother would take me to shows.

7. More specifically. The Winter Garden Theater. The first show I ever saw was Cats in that theater.

8. Rockerfeller Center - Especially at Christmas time. Seeing the tree all lit up. One day I want to take the kids back up there to see it.

9. White Castle. Are they good for me? No. But oh did I love them as a kid. I can't wait for our trip up North for my Grandfather's 90th Birthday party. There is one right around the corner from my cousin's house where we are going to be. Not supposed to eat them...but I honestly don't care....lol

10. The Parades: St, Patrick's Day, The Macy's Parade, The Thanksgiving Parade. Yeah I know I can watch them on TV...but not the same as freezing your ass off watching it.

11. HOCKEY! You haven't seen a hockey game until you've seen it in Madison Square Garden. Here...we have the Caps...Nothing can replace the NY teams for me though.

12. My Grandparents. The remaining pair that I have still live in the same place after all these years. Even though we beg them to move they just won't do it. I talk to them once a week but it's not the same as seeing them all the time like I used to.

13. The hardest one of all. I took this picture my Freshman year of High School with one of those crappy disposable cameras while we were on a class trip. It's from the deck of the Circle Line Cruise ship. If I had known then...I would have taken a lot more and a lot better pictures.

No comments: